Have you read Ellen Oh’s WARRIOR yet?
We are so excited to be working with Henry H. Neff on his IMPYRIUM series! IMPYRIUM follows the unlikely friendship between a 12-year-old sorceress, who is the last scion of the dynasty that has ruled the kingdom for thousands of years, and a 13-year-old boy who left his small mining town for a chance to serve in the capital.
Happy pub day to THE MAGIC THIEF: A PROPER WIZARD - a digital short story by Sarah Prineas!
Thief-turned-wizard Conn has earned his reputation as one of the greatest magisters of the age, but not everyone believes in his abilities. Will Verent, a wizard’s apprentice from neighboring Danivelle, be able to overcome his misgivings about Conn in order to help fix his city’s magical problems?
Fans of THE MAGIC THIEF series will be enchanted by A PROPER WIZARD, the perfect story to read while waiting for the fourth book in the series, THE MAGIC THIEF: HOME, out next month.
Do you know of any middle grade or young adult books with pirates?
Stories from the Shelves Answer:
Yaar, me hearties! (Sorry. Too much caffeine.)
- Caroline Carlson’s Magic Marks the Spot was one of Jenn’s favorites of last year. All young Hilary Westfield wants out of life is to be a pirate — but the pirate League doesn’t take girls! Her father sends her off to finishing school, but she escapes to the high seas accompanied by a magical gargoyle and her governess. Swashbuckling adventures ensue!
- In Dave Barry and Ridley Pearson’s Peter and the Starcatchers series, which looks at the origins of everyone’s favorite lost boy Peter Pan, there are pirates aplenty.
- Another of Jenn’s personal favorites is The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle by Avi, which she read umpteen times as a ten-year-old. Charlotte Doyle is on board a ship to reunite with her family when mutiny strikes. Will she side with the horrible captain, or the crew?
For young adult:
- Celia Rees’s Pirates! follows the adventures of Nancy, a plantation owner’s daughter, and Minerva, one of the plantation slaves, as they flee the dictates of the men in their lives and take up with a band of pirates.
- John Rocco and Jay Primiano’s Swim That Rock is a rare breed, a contemporary pirate story! Jake Cole’s father goes missing in a fishing-boat accident, and he’s determined to become the man of the house. He takes up with the “Captain,” who turns out to be a pirate embedded in the underbelly of the Narragansett fishing world.
- Neil Gaiman’s Stardust doesn’t have any oceans in it, but it does have some spectacular (cross-dressing) sky pirates in a flying ship!
If you want a good pirate read, Word Bookstore recommends Caroline Carlson’s THE VERY NEARLY HONORABLE LEAGUE OF PIRATES: MAGIC MARKS THE SPOT!
Read it now, so you’ll be ready for book two —THE TERROR OF THE SOUTHLANDS—next month!
This Wednesday, we celebrate Ellen Oh! Oh is the author of the Dragon King Chronicles and the founder of #WeNeedDiverseBooks, a non-profit that pushes for diversity of all types in literature.
Have you read her books? Do you support #WeNeedDiverseBooks? Are you excited for the next book in her series? Reblog and share! Send us an ask! Tweet us at @yainterrobang with your opinions. As always, #womenauthorwednesday is about talking about lady authors and the things they do - so talk, about whatever you’d like!
We are thrilled to be working on TWINTUITION, the middle grade series by actresses Tia and Tamera Mowry!
The actresses answer questions about favorite books, 90s trends they want to bring back, if they’ve kept anything from Sister, Sister, and more in the above link.